What do I do with my new essential oils?
Well, first off, you’re gonna want to read a little bit about what each oil is useful for and how to use it most effectively. Not every oil is good to ingest. Lavender, for example. Smells like heaven. Tastes like… well, not heaven. Of course, that’s my opinion. But I’d rather diffuse it than taste it all day. I’m just sayin’…
The main ways ways to use oils are:
1.Topically. That means apply it to your skin. BUT WAIT!!! Before you go dumping Oregano on your forearm, be sure you know whether your oils is “hot” or not. Straight Oregano can leave a pretty nasty little burn. Diluted in a carrier oil, however, Oregano is one powerful anti-infectious agent and immune stimulator.
Some topical application points are the crown of the head, temples, behind the ears, neck, back, abdomen, soles of feet, or anywhere you need relief from localized pain. Young Living also sells lovely little roller-ball applicators you can screw directly onto your oil bottle. Tip the bottle and apply evenly, and with ease!
Other topical applications include essential oil perfumes or spritzes, moisturizers, cold packs, warm, wet compresses, massage oils, bath salts or sits baths.. the possibilities are endless!
It’s always a good idea to test your oils with a carrier before your first applying liberally. Any reaction you may have should surface within ten minutes. If you experience any skin discomfort, stop using the oil. Immediately apply Young Living’s V6 carrier oil, or another carrier oil that you have on hand.
**Click here to order your Premium Starter Kit today!**
- Always read the labels! Each bottle comes with instructions for use as well as any necessary warnings.
- Avoid contact with the eyes, and never put essential oils directly in the ear canal. Young Living recommends you avoid contact with sensitive areas, such as genitals and mucous membranes, where the effect of these powerful oils can be overwhelming, uncomfortable or even painful.
- Important!!! NEVER USE WATER TO RINSE AWAY THE OIL!!!!! Oils are OIL soluble, not water soluble. Water actually drives the oils in deeper. To reduce reactions, you MUST dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil. Do this repeatedly until the discomfort goes away. It should only take a few applications, spread over a few minutes.
- LESS IS MORE. These oils are extremely potent and highly concentrated. When it comes to applying essential oils, “start low, go slow.” You can increase use over time. Excessive application can actually cause an adverse reaction, especially the first time you use a new oil.
- Some oils are photosensitive, especially citrus oils. Remember when we used to put lemon juice in our hair to naturally lighten it in the sun? Always check your labels and be careful not to use oils like lemon, orange, grapefruit, mandarin, bergamot or angelica before exposure to UV rays.
- Always significantly dilute essential oils with carrier oils when applying to children.
- Consult a physician before using oils when you are pregnant. Some oils have been demonstrated to contain constituents with hormone-like activity
2. Aromatically. Simply put, you smell them! Sniff the bottle. Pour a drop on your palms, rub them together and inhale. Use a diffuser. Put a drop on a cotton ball or a damp cloth. Add a few drops to a steaming bowl of water, lean over the bowl and cover your head (and the bowl) with a towel, like a tent. Breathe deeply. Aaaaaaaaaaaahhh.
Inhalation greatly heightens the senses and triggers a desired response within the body.
- As with topical application, “start low, go slow.” It’s easy to be overpowered by the intense fragrance of certain oils. When you diffuse, try a few drops first, then adjust to your desired strength. You can also experiment with the length of time you operate your diffuser. Remember, less is more, especially as you grow accustomed to a new scent.
** Click to order your Premium Starter Kit today! **
3. Internally. Because Young Living Oils are therapeutic grade, many of their oils can be taken orally as dietary supplements. Always always always read the labels and consult your reference guide before ingesting any essential oils. And never, Never NEVER ingest a lesser quality brand. If it’s not Young Living Oils, you literally don’t know what kind of synthetics or toxic chemicals you might be swallowing.
- Essential oils CAN dissolve plastic, petrochemicals or paint, so be careful what kind of containers you put them in! Always use glass to infuse any substance with oils
Young Living has developed an entire line of dietary supplements which contain both essential oils and herbs. The oils act as catalysts to help deliver vital nutrients through the cell membranes, and they also assist in the removal of cellular waste. Taken internally, essential oils actually increase efficiency of the body’s natural recesses, and reduce toxins.
- As with any product, it is important to read all warnings and labels before use
4. DIY Products. This is where oils reeeeeally get fun!!! There are so many amazing recipes out there for homemade “oily” products. All natural hand soap, bug spray, bath salts, scented play dough, face moisturizers, eye cream, sunscreen,laundry detergents, carpet cleaners, dish soap, even cookie recipes! You would be AMAZED what you can do with essential oils! People eat them, drink them, sleep with them and wake up with them. They shower and wash with them, cook and clean with them. Wear them, smell them, taste them, experiment with them. ENJOY THEM!!!!!!
Read more about Choosing the right oils or purchase your Young Living Premium Starter Kit today. With eleven of Young Living’s most popular and useful oils, Ninxia Red and oil sample packets, a diffuser, roller applicators, and detailed information on each oil, you can’t possibly go wrong!